- The first EF-S Macro Lens1 with built-in Macro Lites and is capable of shooting up to life-size magnification (1x) with 30mm minimum working distance
- The front of the lens is equipped with two Macro Lite LED lamps on the left and the right sides which can illuminate together or independently with adjustable light intensity.
- Tapered lens front design that minimizes shadow casting on subject when shooting extremely close up shots
- Newly developed 10 elements in 6 groups optical construction with 1 GMo (Glass-molded) aspherical lens element to achieve excellent image quality across the entire image
- Equipped with Canon’s Hybrid Image stabilizer (IS) that offers shake compensation up to 4-stop shutter speed2 and corrects both angle-based and shift-based camera shake which is common in macro photography.
- Bright f/2.8 aperture and standard angle of view (focal length equivalent to approx. 56mm in 35mm full-frame format) also suitable for snapshots
- Smooth Movie Servo AF is supported during movie shooting with the lead-screw type Stepping Motor (STM)3
- Fast Autofocus is achieved for still images by using a rear focus system, high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms; Full Time Manual focusing is also supported
- 7-blade circular aperture for beautiful bokeh
- Lens element position and coatings are optimized to ensure excellent color balance and minimize ghosting and flare
- Lens Hood ES-27 is bundled for reflection reduction and 49mm filter installation
1 Compatible with EOS 7D Mark II / EOS 7D / EOS 80D / EOS 77D / EOS 70D/ EOS 60Da / EOS 60D / EOS 50D / EOS 40D / EOS 30D / EOS 20D / EOS 20Da / EOS 800D / EOS 760D / EOS 750D / EOS 700D/ EOS 650D / EOS 600D / EOS 550D / EOS 500D / EOS 450D / EOS 400D / EOS 350D / EOS 300D / EOS 100D / EOS 1300D / EOS 1200D / EOS 1100D / EOS 1000D, as of 6 April 2017.
2 CIPA Standard, Focal Length: 35mm (35mm format equivalent: 56mm), EOS 7D Mark II is used
3 Applicable to EOS 7D Mark II / EOS 80D / EOS 77D/ EOS 70D / EOS 800D / EOS 760D / EOS 750D / EOS 700D/ EOS 650D/EOS 100D or EOS M series (with Mount Adapter EF-EOS M), as of 6 April 2017.
Angle of View (Diagonal)
10 elements in 6 groups
Aspherical Lens (Piece)
No. of Diaphragm Blades
Closest Focusing Distance (m)
Maximum Magnification (x)
Lead Screw-type Stepping Motor (STM)
Full Time Manual
Image Stabilizer Effectiveness
4 stops (CIPA Standard, Focal Length: 35mm (35mm format equivalent: 56mm), EOS 7D Mark II is used )
Image Stabilizer Mode
Mode 1/2 (Auto)
Filter Diameter (mm)
49mm (compatible only when Lens Hood ES-27 is attached)