- Home /
- EOS R
High Image Quality in Compact Form Factor with Newly Developed Full-Frame CMOS Image Sensor, New RF Mount and Latest DIGIC 8 Imagine Processor
- Newly developed 30.3-megapixels Canon Full-frame CMOS image sensor with optical design optimized for RF Lenses
- Use of new RF Mount for high quality images within a compact camera body
- Features the latest Powerful DIGIC 8 digital imaging processor for a host of new functions
- Standard ISO range of 100-40000 and expandable to ISO 50-102400
- Adopts the CR3 RAW format and C-RAW compact RAW format with file size approx. 40% smaller than normal RAW
- Supports the In-camera “Digital Lens Optimizer” (DLO) when shooting JPEG to further improve image quality
- Supports 1.6x cropped shooting for both still photo and movie shooting when RF or EF lenses are used. When EF-S lenses are used, 1.6x cropped shooting will be enabled automatically
- Max. 8FPS high-speed continuous shooting and Max. 5FPS continuous shooting with SERVO AF
- “Dual Sensing IS” is available to enhances stabilization performance of the RF lenses 1 when shooting still images
- Supports “Anti-Flicker Shooting” to ensure more consistent exposure and color when shooting under flickering light source such as fluorescent light
- Features “Silent Shutter” to bring completely silent and mechanical shake-free shooting 2
- Incorporates the “Dual Pixel RAW” shooting to achieve the best RAW image quality by three image post-processing functions including “Image Micro-adjustment”, “Bokeh Shift” and “Ghosting Reduction”
- Supports “Multiple Exposure” and “HDR Mode” for high dynamic range Shooting
A Breakthrough in Focal Plane Autofocus Technology - Dual Pixel CMOS AF Now Achieves World's Fastest AF Speed of 0.05 sec with Maximum 5,655 Selectable AF Positions and the World's First Full-frame Camera Capable to Autofocus at Nearly Complete Darkness of EV -6
- Achieves the world's fastest AF speed of 0.05 sec with Dual Pixel CMOS AF 3
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF now covers approx. 100% vertical x 88% horizontal of the image area 4 with max. 5,655 AF positions 5
- World's first full-frame camera to offer minimum EV for autofocus at EV -6 6, a nearly complete darkness where human eyes would have difficulty in discerning details
- 7 AF methods including the newly added Expand AF area (Above, below, left and right), Expand AF area (around), Large Zone AF (vertical) and Large Zone AF (horizontal), for different subjects and scenarios
- Supports “Eye Detection AF” 7 that keeps the subject’s eye in precise focus for portrait photo
- Servo AF is available with customizable tracking characteristics adopted from advanced DSLR cameras
- “Touch and Drag AF” on LCD monitor is supported for convenient AF position selection when shooting with EVF
4K UHD Movie Recording with Canon Log, Focus Guide from Cinema EOS and 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output
- Supports 4K UHD 29.97p/25p/24.0p/23.98p movie recording in H.264 MP4 format with selection of ALL-I (480 Mbps) or IPB (120 Mbps) compression
- Supports Full HD 59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/24.0p/23.98p 8 and HD 100p/119.9p “High Frame Rate” movie recording 9
- “4K Frame Grab” function is available for extracting an approx. 8.3MP JPEG from any 4K footage 10
- Built-in Canon Log for movie recording with up to 12-stop dynamic range 11 and compatible with both internal recording and HDMI output
- Supports uncompressed 4K 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output. When Canon Log is enabled, ITU-R BT.2020 standard can also be selected to output 4K footage with ample dynamic range, rich gradation and wide color gamut to an external recorder
- “DAF Focus Guide” function as found in Cinema EOS cameras and “Peaking” function are newly added to assist precise Manual Focus
- 4K and Full HD Time-lapse movie functions are available 12
- Features in-body 5-axis electronic IS to enable “Movie Digital IS” for steady handheld movie. When used with compatible lenses 13, “Combination IS” with better stabilization performance will be enabled automatically
- “Custom Movie Servo AF” allows customization of Movie Servo AF characteristics
- “Distortion Correction” is now possible in movie shooting with RF Lenses
Newly supports the 1/8-stop aperture adjustment during movie recording with RF lenses
- Headphone jack and external microphone jack are available
Completely redesigned camera control with EVF-based operation in mind to offer easier one-hand camera operation and high level of customization
- High Quality 0.5-inch 3.69M-dot OLED Color Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) with approx. 100% coverage and 0.76x magnification. The viewfinder’s optics features an glass-molded aspherical lens to deliver vivid and clear image with minimal aberrations at all angle
- 3.15-inch 2.1M-dot side-opening Vari-angle Clear View II LCD Monitor with touch function for flexible shooting angle
- Features a 128 x 128 dot-matrix reflective memory LCD top panel to provide essential shooting information
- An innovative “Multi-function Bar” (M.Fn Bar) is added next to the EVF to allow user to change customizable setting by tapping or swiping while looking through the viewfinder
- A new “Flexible-priority” exposure mode (Fv mode) is added to enable flexible manual or automatic configuration of shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed and exposure compensation by just two dials, so users can flexibly switch between P/Tv/Av/M operations without changing shooting mode.
- A new Multi-function Lock button (on camera top) to lock/unlock the operations of the dials, touch monitor or lens control ring instantly by one simple press to prevent changing settings accidentally
- Built-in with “Bulb Timer”
- Supports High Speed UHS-II SD/SDHC/SDXC Card
- USB Type-C (USB 3.1 Gen 1) digital terminal enables fast transfer of images and videos for tethered shooting.
- Battery charging via the USB Type-C port with USB Power Adapter PD-E1 14 is possible
- A compact shutter unit with maximum 1/8000s shutter speed and approx. 200,000-cycle durability 15 is adopted. The shutter will be closed when camera power is turned off to protect the image sensor and minimize dust deposition
- Lightweight and rigid magnesium alloy body construction to ensure rigidity similar to EOS-1 Series camera
- Reliable dust-and-water-resistant design 16
Built-In with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for Convenient Photo Sharing and Remote Shooting
- Built-in Wi-Fi for remote shooting and image transfer to smartphones
- Built-in Bluetooth® low energy technology for easy wake-up of camera from a smartphone 17, GPS information acquisition 18, remote shooting from a smartphone or Wireless Remote Controller BR-E1 19
- “Transfer Images to smartphones after shot” and “Automatic sending images to computer” 20 function are supported
- Additional wireless functions such as FTP transfer is supported via Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 II D (optional)
1 For still images shooting only. Compatible lenses: RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM (as of 4th September, 2018).
2 When silent shutter is enabled, the following functions are inactivated: Multiple-exposure shooting, HDR shooting, Multi Shot Noise Reduction, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, Flash photography, Continuous shooting, AEB shooting, Anti-flicker detection, Dual Pixel RAW shooting.
3 Among all the interchangeable lens digital cameras incorporating the 35mm full-frame equivalent image sensor with phase detection and contrast detection AF on the image plane. Calculated from the results of measured AF time, based on CIPA guidelines (differs depending on shooting conditions and lens used). Measured using internal methods. Measurement conditions; Focus brightness: EV12 (average temperature/ISO 100), Shooting Mode: M, using the RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM (at a focal length of 24mm) with the following settings: shutter released using the shutter button, one-point AF (center), one-shot AF.
4 With compatible lenses only. Compatible lenses include all RF lenses and most of the current EF lenses. Please refer to the compatible information on Canon website after launched.
5 When selecting point using the directional keypad. When the AF area is automatically selected, the focus area is divided into a maximum of 143 sections.
6 Among all the interchangeable lens digital cameras incorporating the 35mm full-frame equivalent image sensor with phase-difference detection AF on the image plane. As of September 4th, 2018 (researched by Canon). According to the Canon standard. (During still photo shooting, f/1.2, Center AF point, One-Shot AF, at 23°C/73°F, ISO100).
7 Eye Detection AF operates during One-shot AF and [Face + Tracking] AF only. It is not available during Servo AF and movie shooting.
8 Full HD 59.94p and 50.0p is not available with “Movie Cropping”.
9 Movie Servo AF is not applicable to High Frame Rate Movie. High Frame Rate Movie is not possible with “Movie Cropping”. Maximum recording time is 7 min 29 sec.
10 Frame Grab from Full HD/HD movies is not possible. As movie frames are saved as still images, image quality is not equivalent to normal still images. Aspect ratio is 16:9.
11 When ISO is set to 400. When Canon Log is enabled, the only exposure mode available is M mode (Auto ISO is not supported). Peripheral illumination correction is also disabled.
12 Maximum 3600 exposures, maximum 2 minutes (NTSC) or 2 minutes 24 second (PAL) time-lapse movie can be shot.
13 Compatible lenses: RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM.
14 Battery charging is compatible with Battery Pack LP-E6N only. USB Power Adapter PD-E1 is recommended for battery charging.
15 Shutter durability may vary depending on usage and environmental conditions.
16 It is not recommended for use under rain.
17 Pairing of the camera and smart device is required for the first time. In some cases, an iOS smart device may require operation from the device side. Both camera and smart device have to be within a certain distance when the Camera Connect App is active. In remote shooting and Image viewing mode, it will switch from Bluetooth to Wi-Fi connection. For Android, Android 5.0 (or later) and Bluetooth 4.0 (or later) are required. For iOS, Bluetooth 4.0 (or later) is required (iPhone 4s or later, iPad 3rd generation or later, iPod touch 5th generation or later). Some devices that fulfil the mentioned requirements may not be able to connect via Bluetooth, however Image transfer and other remote operations will still be possible through Wi-Fi connectivity.
18 The camera and smartphone need to be connected via Bluetooth. While Wi-Fi connection is established, GPS data cannot be renewed.
19 Pairing between the camera and a compatible smartphone (or Wireless Remote Controller BR-E1) beforehand are required. Both camera and the compatible smartphone (or BR-E1) have to be within a certain distance.
20 Both the camera and computer must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Pairing of the camera and the Image Transfer Utility 2 software is required for the first time. When sending images automatically, the camera must be turned on, and the computer must also be turned on and logged in. To automatically transfer new/non-transferred images only, proper setting is necessary.
|Camera type||Digital single-lens non-reflex AF/AE camera|
|Recording media||SD/SDHC*/SDXC* memory cards (*UHS-II compatible)|
|Image sensor size||Full-Frame format, approx. 36 x 24 mm|
|Compatible lenses||(1) Canon RF lenses(2) Canon EF and EF-S lenses (with Mount Adapter EF-EOS R (optional)*EF-M and CN-E lenses are not compatible|
|Lens mount||Canon RF mount|
|Digital image processor||DIGIC 8|
|Image sensor type||CMOS sensor|
|Effective pixels||Approx. 30.3 megapixels|
|Image Sensor Aspect ratio||3:2|
|Recording Image type||JPEG, RAW (14-bit, Canon original), C-RAW (Canon original)|
|RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording||Provided|
|File name||Preset code, User setting 1, User setting 2|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Picture Style||Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1–3|
|White balance setting||Auto (Ambience priority / White priority), Preset (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, White fluorescent light, Flash), Custom, Color temperature setting (approx. 2500–10000K)|
|Noise reduction||Long exposure noise reduction, High ISO speed noise reduction|
|Automatic image brightness correction||Auto Lighting Optimizer|
|Highlight tone priority||Yes|
|Lens peripheral illumination correction||Yes|
|Viewfinder type||0.5-inch, approx.3.69 million dots, OLED Electronic color viewfinder|
|Viewfinder coverage(Vertical / Horizontal)||Vertical/horizontal: approx. 100%|
|Eyepoint||Approx. 23 mm (from eyepiece lens end at -1 m-1)|
|Auto focus type||Dual pixel CMOS AF|
|Focusing brightness range||EV -6 - 18 (f/1.2, at room temperature, ISO 100, One-Shot AF)|
|Focus modes||One-Shot AF, Servo AF, Manual Focus|
|AF point selection||(1) Face+Tracking AF (Max. 143 AF area)(2) Single Point AF (Max. 5,644 AF point positions)(3) Expand AF area (vertically/horizontally)(4) Expand AF area (around)(5) Zone AF(6) Large Zone AF (vertical)(7) Large Zone AF (horizo|
|Metering modes||Real-time metering using the image sensor [Still photo shooting] (1) Evaluative metering (384 metering zones, linked to all AF points) (2) Partial metering (approx. 6.1% of screen at center) (3) Spot metering (approx. 2.7% of screen at center) (4) Center-weighted average [Movie recording] Center-weighted average and Evaluative metering with the image sensor (Automatically set by the focus method)|
|Metering range||EV -3 – 20 (At room temperature, ISO 100)|
|Exposure control||Still photo shooting: Scene Intelligent Auto Mode, Flexible-priority AE, Program AE, Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure, Bulb exposure, Custom shooting modes (C1/C2/C3) Movie recording: Scene Intelligent Auto Mode, Program AE, Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure, Custom shooting modes (C1/C2/C3)|
|ISO speed (Recommended Exposure Index)||ISO Auto range: ISO 100-40000 set automaticallyP, Tv, Av, M: ISO Auto, ISO 100 - ISO 40000 set manually (in 1/3-1/2 stop increments), and ISO expansion to L (equivalent to ISO 50), H1 (equivalent to ISO 51200) or H2 (equivalent to ISO 102400)|
|Shutter type||Electronically-controlled, focal-plane shutter|
|Shutter speeds||1/8000 sec. to 30 sec. (total shutter speed range; available range varies by shooting mode), X-sync speed: 1/200 sec. (fastest synchronized shutter speed with flash), Bulb|
|Compatible external Speedlite||EL/EX series Speedlites|
|External flash settings||E-TTL II autoflash|
|Drive modes||Single shooting, High-speed continuous shooting, Low-speed continuous shooting, Self-timer:10-sec, Self-Timer: 2-sec|
|Continuous shooting speed (Approx.)||[One-Shot AF]
High-speed continuous shooting speed: Max. approx. 8.0 shots/sec.
Low-speed continuous shooting speed: Max. approx. 3.0 shots/sec.
High-speed continuous shooting speed: Max. approx. 5 shots/sec.
|Movie Shooting Function||UHD 4K, Full HD, HD and 4K/HD Time-lapse movie|
|Movie compression||MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, variable (average) bit rate|
|Movie compression method||For editing (ALL-I), Standard (IPB), Light (IPB)|
|Audio recording format||All-I: Linear PCM (stereo); IPB: AAC (stereo)|
|Recording size / frame rate||4K (3840x2160)：29.97p/24.00p/23.98p (NTSC)4K (3840x2160)：25.00p/24.00p (PAL)Full HD (1920x1080)：59.94p/29.97p/24.0p/23.98p (NTSC)Full HD (1920x1080)：50.00p/25.00p/24.00p (PAL)HD (1280x720)：119.9p/59.94p/29.97p (NTSC)HD (1280x720)：|
|Sound recording||Built-in stereo microphones, external stereo microphone terminal provided; Sound-recording level adjustable, wind filter provided, attenuator provided|
|Headphone Terminal||Headphone terminal provided, volume adjustable|
|Drop Frame||Compatible with 119.9p/59.94p/29.97p|
|LCD monitor type||Side-opening Vari-angle and multi-touch Clear View II LCD monitor|
|LCD monitor size||3.15-inch (3:2)|
|LCD monitor resolution||Approx. 2,100,000 dots|
|LCD monitor angle adjustment||Approx. 270 degree vertical, 175 degree horozontal|
|In-camera RAW image processing||Yes|
|Remote Control Terminal||Compatible with Remote Switch RS-60E3|
|Wireless remote control||Compatible with Wireless Controller BR-E1|
|Wireless Network Functions||Wi-Fi / Bluetooth low energy technology|
|Battery Pack||Battery Pack LP-6N/LP-E6 (Quantity 1)*USB Power Adapter PD-E1 (optional), in-camera charging of LP-E6N is possible. With the AC Power Adapter AC-E6N (optional) and DC Coupler DR-E6 (optional), AC power is possible.|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4mm|
|Weight (Approx.)||Approx. 660g (including battery pack and card) Approx. 580g (body only)|