- Home /
- EOS R6
EOS R6 – High Sensitivity and High Speed 4K Full-frame Mirrorless Camera
Made for: Professional photographers, videographers and advanced amateurs
Best for: Sports, wildlife and event photography; wedding video and video production
Excellent Low-light Performance on par with EOS-1D X Mark III with World’s Best Effective I.S.1
- High sensitivity 20.1-megapixel Canon Full-frame CMOS image sensor based on EOS-1D X Mark III
- Latest DIGIC X digital image processor
- Standard ISO range 100-102400, expandable to ISO 50-204800
- The world’s best image stabilization1 with max. 8-stop shake compensation2 by In-Body Image Stabilizer. In-Body Image Stabilizer provides 5-axis stabilization for photo and video shooting and works with IS-equipped RF Lens to enable more effective stabilization
- Supports HDR PQ shooting and 10-bit HEIF recording format with 4 times greater gradation and wide color range compared to JPEG
- Supports 1.6x cropped (Approx. 7.7MP) shooting for both still photo and movie shooting when RF or EF lenses are used. When EF-S lenses are used, 1.6x cropped shooting will be enabled automatically
- New image processing enables sharpening with greater sense of high-frequency resolution while keeping noise lower
- Built-in “Digital Lens Optimizer” (DLO) and new “Clarity” setting to output high quality and ready-to-use JPEG images with renowned Canon colors
- Built-in with “Interval Timer” and “Bulb Timer”
- Built-in “Multiple Exposure” and “HDR Shooting”
- “Focus Bracketing3”function to automatically shoot a series of photos with different focus positions for focus stacking in post-production
Most Advanced EOS AF Technology with Ultra-High-Speed Continuous Shooting
AF coverage area is expanded to 100%4 with max. 1,053 AF zones5 for unprecedented freedom and high precision in AF operation
AF Coverage area up to 90% (H) x 100% (V) for Manual AF Selection
Minimum focusing brightness of EV -6.56 for AF in nearly complete darkness environment
Spot-AF is added and total 8 AF Area Selection modes are provided
Ultra-fast AF speed of 0.05 sec7 with improved AF responsiveness by faster search speed (supports 120 fps drive) and faster search direction detection
Supports AF even the lens’ maximum aperture is f/22 (e.g. when Extender RF 2x is installed on RF 800mm f/11 IS STM)
High Speed Display now supports EF and EF-S lens in addition to RF Lens
People recognition now detects subject’s head, eye and face; Head detection AF allows users to precisely track human subjects wearing sunglasses, a helmet or even taking a photo from behind
Eye detection AF is also improved to detect subject’s eye even the face is at an oblique angle
Animal detection tracks animal subjects (such as dogs, cats and birds) by detecting the body, face or eye to make animal photography easy
Features the same AF Tracking Algorithm as found in EOS-1D X Mark III
Subject tracking operates up to 60 fps to enhance the tracking AF responsiveness
User can customize a button to activate “Eye Detection AF” from any AF mode (such as Single-point AF)
Professional 4K Movie Recording Capability
- Internal recording of non-cropped 4K UHD IPB movie up to 60p (5.1K oversampling)
- Approx. Super 35mm crop 4K UHD IPB movie up to 60p is available12
- Supports High Frame Rate Full HD 120p13 IPB movies
- 10-bit Canon Log and 10-bit HDR PQ (Rec. ITU-R BT.2100(PQ)) H.265 Movie are provided
- Built-in 4K UHD and Full HD time-lapse movie (ALL-I) with HDR PQ support
- Movie Servo AF is available in all movie formats
- “DAF Focus Guide” and “Peaking” functions are available to facilitate Manual Focus
- Zebra display is newly added to assist exposure adjustment before or during movie recording
- Headphone jack and external microphone jack are available
- Supports uncompressed 4K YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit BT.2020 (up to 60p) HDMI output to external recorder14 via HDMI Type D (micro) Terminal
- 4K HDR (Rec. ITU-R BT.2100(PQ)) HDMI output supported
Excellent Operability and Connectivity
- Multi-Controller and Quick Control Dial as found in EOS 5D Mark IV are added for faster AF point switching and setting adjustment
- Depth of View Preview button is added
- 0.5-inch 3.69M-dot OLED EVF with approx. 100% coverage and 0.76x magnification
- EVF offers a new “Smooth” option to enable up to 120 fps display frame rate for smoother image when tracking moving subjects
- 3.0-inch 1.62M-dot side-opening Vari-angle Clear View II LCD Touch Monitor
- Four Color tone adjustments are available for both EVF (with additional fine adjustment) and LCD
- Option to display image review in LCD Monitor only is available to provide smooth EVF operation
- When LCD Monitor is opened, viewfinder sensor can be disabled to prevent inadvertent display switching between EVF and LCD Monitor
- Greatly improved camera responsiveness with super-fast 0.4 sec start-up time15, shorter display delay during continuous shooting in EVF, and nearly instant EVF/monitor display switching
- Dual card slots accommodating two SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II) cards
- Compatible with the new high-capacity battery LP-E6NH ; recharging battery and supplying power via USB is also supported16
- Built-in 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi for smartphone connection, EOS Utility connection, FTP transfer and auto-upload of images to image.canon cloud storage during shooting
- Built-in Bluetooth® low energy technology for easy Smartphone connection, GPS information acquisition17 and Wireless Remote Control BR-E1
- E3-type terminal is provided for remote accessories and Remote Control RC-6 is supported
- Built-in USB-C (USB 3.2 Gen 2) terminal with high speed data transmission up to 10Gbps
- Selectable shutter curtain status (open or close) when camera power is turned off; user can choose to keep it open for complete silent operations
- High precision shutter unit with 300,000-cycle durability18
- Weights only 598g (Body Only) / 680g (With Battery and memory cards)
- Rigid magnesium-alloy chassis with high level of dust and water resistance design19
2 Based on the CIPA standard, 8.0 stops with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM at a focal distance of 105mm. Depending on the time of purchase, the lens firmware needs to be updated. EOS R6’s IS performance is the same as that of EOS R5.
3 Recommended lenses: RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, RF 50mm f/1.2L USM, RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF 28-70mm f/2L USM, EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM.
4 When using with compatible lenses only. Compatible lenses include most RF lenses and most of the current EF lenses. When [Face + Tracking AF] is selected. Performance may vary depending on conditions. Lens compatibility information will be available on Canon website later.
5 When [Face + Tracking AF] is selected.
6 During still photo shooting, with an f/1.2 lens, Center AF point, One-Shot AF, at 23°C, ISO 100 (excepts RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS).
7 Based on the results of AF speed tests in accordance with CIPA guidelines (according to Canon survey). Results may vary depending on shooting conditions and lens in use. Relies on internal measurement method. Test conditions: Brightness at time of distance measurement: EV12 (regular temperature, ISO 100); Shooting mode: M; Lens in use: RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, with a focal distance of 24mm; Live-view mode: On (with manual shutter button operation); AF mode: Live single-point AF (central); AF operation: One-shot AF.
8 iTR: intelligent Tracking and Recognition
9 When using electronic shutter, the camera shoots with 20FPS under any of the continuous drive mode setting.
10 When using RF lenses and some EF lenses. See Canon’s website for a list of compatible lenses. Burst shooting speed using mechanical shutter varies in up to 3 stages, depending on the battery type, remaining battery charge, number of batteries, lens in use, temperature, setting of the built-in Wi-Fi (On/Off), and whether or not you are using a battery grip and WFT unit, DC coupler or USB power adapter. In addition to the above factors, the maximum burst shooting speed may decrease due to shutter speed, aperture, flash usage, flicker reduction processing, subject conditions, brightness (especially in a dark place).
11 Using a 32GB SD UHS-II card based on Canon testing standards. With mechanical shutter or electronic first-curtain shutter, shooting at 12 FPS.
12 Output in 4K(UHD) resolution through processing.
13 High Frame Rate Movie is not possible with “Movie Cropping”. Maximum recording time is 7 min 29 sec. Sound is not recorded.
14 When the image is output to an external device via HDMI, recording to memory card function will be not available.
15 Based on CIPA testing standards.
16 Battery charging is compatible with Battery Pack LP-E6NH and LP-E6N only. Charging is not possible when LP-E6 is loaded. Batteries cannot be charged unless the battery level is below 94%. USB Power Adapter PD-E1 is recommended for battery charging and power supply.
17 Pairing of the camera and smart device is required for the first time. In some cases, an iOS smart device may require operation from the device side. Both camera and smart device have to be within a certain distance when the Camera Connect App is active. In remote shooting and Image viewing mode, it will switch from Bluetooth to Wi-Fi connection. For Android, Android 5.0 (or later) and Bluetooth 4.0 (or later) are required. For iOS, Bluetooth 4.0 (or later) is required (iPhone 4s or later, iPad 3rd generation or later, iPod touch 5th generation or later). Some devices that fulfil the mentioned requirements may not be able to connect via Bluetooth, however Image transfer and other remote operations will still be possible through Wi-Fi connectivity.
18 Based on Canon testing standards. Shutter durability may vary depending on usage and environmental conditions.
19 Although the camera features dust- and-water-resistance design, this cannot completely prevent dust or water droplets from entering the camera. it is not recommended for use under rain.
|Camera type||Digital single-lens non-reflex AF/AE camera|
|Recording media||2 x SD/SDHC*/SDXC* memory cards(*UHS-II compatible)|
|Image sensor size||Full-Frame format, approx. 35.9 x 23.9 mm|
|Compatible lenses||(1) Canon RF lenses 2) Canon EF and EF-S lenses (Using Mount Adapter EF-EOS R (optional) ) *EF-M and CN-E lenses are not compatible|
|Lens mount||Canon RF mount|
|Digital image processor||DIGIC X|
|Image sensor type||CMOS sensor|
|Effective pixels||Approx.20.1 megapixels|
|Image Sensor Aspect ratio||3:2|
|Recording Image type||JPEG (8 bit), HEIF (10 bit), RAW (14-bit) and C-RAW|
|RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording||Provided|
|File name||Preset code, User setting 1, User setting 2|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Picture Style||Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1–3|
|White balance setting||Auto (Ambience priority / White priority), Preset (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, White fluorescent light, Flash), Custom, Color temperature setting (approx. 2500–10000K)|
|Noise reduction||Long exposure noise reduction, High ISO speed noise reduction|
|Automatic image brightness correction||Auto Lighting Optimizer|
|Highlight tone priority||Yes|
|Lens peripheral illumination correction||Yes|
|Viewfinder type||0.5-inch, approx. 3.69 million dots, OLED Electronic color viewfinder|
|Viewfinder coverage(Vertical / Horizontal)||Vertical/horizontal: approx. 100%|
|Eyepoint||Approx. 23 mm (from eyepiece lens end at -1 m-1)|
|Auto focus type||Dual Pixel CMOS AF|
|Focusing brightness range||EV -6.5 - 20 (f/1.2, center AF point, One-Shot AF, at room temperature, ISO 100,)|
|Focus modes||One-Shot AF, Servo AF, Manual Focus|
|AF point selection||(1) Face+Tracking AF (Max. 1,053 AF zones) (2) Spot AF (3) 1-Point AF (ot AF (3) 1-Point AF (4) Expand AF area (vertically/horizontally) (5) Expand AF area (around) (6) Zone AF (7) Large Zone AF (vertical)|
|Metering modes||Real-time metering using the image sensor [Still photo shooting] (1) Evaluative metering (384 metering zones using image senor output signals) (2) Partial metering (approx. 5.8% of screen at center) (3) Spot metering (approx. 2.9% of screen at center) (4) Center-weighted average [Movie recording] Center-weighted average and Evaluative metering with the image sensor (Automatically set by the focus method)|
|Metering range||EV -3 – 20 (At room temperature, ISO 100)|
|Exposure control||Still photo shooting: Scene Intelligent Auto Mode, Flexible-priority AE, Program AE, Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure, Bulb exposure, Custom shooting modes (C1/C2/C3) Movie recording: Auto exposure, Manual exposure|
|ISO speed (Recommended Exposure Index)||ISO Auto range: ISO 100-102400 set automatically P, Tv, Av, M: ISO Auto, ISO 100 - ISO 102400 set manually (in 1 stop increments), and ISO expansion to L (equivalent to ISO 50) or H (equivalent to ISO 204800)|
|Shutter type||Electronically-controlled, focal-plane shutter|
|Shutter speeds||1/8000 sec. to 30 sec. (total shutter speed range; available range varies by shooting mode), 1/8000 sec. to 30 sec. (when Electronic shutter is set) X-sync speed: 1/200 sec. (1/250 sec. when Elec. 1st-curtain is et), Bulb|
|Compatible external Speedlite||EL/EX series Speedlites|
|External flash settings||E-TTL II autoflash|
|Drive modes||Single shooting, High-speed continuous +shooting, High-speed continuous shooting, Low-speed continuous shooting, Self-timer:10-sec, Self-Timer: 2-sec|
|Continuous shooting speed (Approx.)||High-speed continuous + shooting Electronic shutter: Maximum approx. 20.0 fps Mechanical shutter: Maximum approx. 12.0 fps *Continuous shooting speed may be slower under some shooting conditions.|
|Movie Shooting Function||4K UHD, Full HD and 4K/HD Time-lapse movie|
|Movie compression||4K/ Full HD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Canon Log: MPEG-4 HEVC/H.265|
|Movie compression method||Standard (IPB), Light (IPB)|
|Audio recording format||IPB: AAC/ Linea PCM IPB (Light): AAC|
|Recording size / frame rate||4K UHD (uncropped or 1.67x cropped) : 59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/23.98p/25.00p Full HD: 119.88p/100.00p/59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/23.98p/25.00p|
|Sound recording||Built-in stereo microphones, external stereo microphone terminal provided; Sound-recording level adjustable, wind filter provided, attenuator provided|
|Headphone Terminal||Headphone terminal provided, volume adjustable|
|Drop Frame||Compatible with 119.88p/59.94p/29.97p|
|LCD monitor type||Side-opening Vari-angle and multi-touch Clear View II LCD monitor|
|LCD monitor size||3.0-inch (3:2)|
|LCD monitor resolution||Approx. 1,620,000 dots|
|LCD monitor angle adjustment||Approx. 270 degree vertical, 175 degree horozontal|
|In-camera RAW image processing||Yes|
|Remote Control Terminal||Compatible with Remote Switch RS-60E3|
|Wireless remote control||Compatible with Wireless Controller BR-E1 and RC-6|
|Wireless Network Functions||2.4 GHz Wi-Fi / Bluetooth low energy|
|Battery Pack||Battery Pack LP-E6NH/ LP-E6N/LP-E6 (Quantity 1) *USB Power Adapter PD-E1 (optional), in-camera charging of LP-E6NH/ LP-E6N is possible. With the AC Power Adapter AC-E6N (optional) and DC Coupler DR-E6 (optional), AC power is possible.|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||138.4 x 97.5 x 88.4mm|
|Weight (Approx.)||Approx. 680g (including battery pack and card) Approx. 598g (body only)|